I love food, so dieting is hard. Any recipe that’s tasty and can keep me away from chocolate and junk is good in my eyes, hence this pie. It’s about 375 calories a generous slice so, if served with roasted vegetables, it’s a great way to stay on track. Here is the recipe if you want to try it yourself.
Ingredients and Method (serves 6)
1 chopped onion
2 garlic cloves
1 medium leek, sliced thinly
100ml white wine
1 chicken stock cube
3 chicken breasts cut into cubes
200g smoked bacon lardons
300g half fat crème fraiche
freshly ground black pepper
Ready to roll puff pastry
1. In a large frying pan spray some oil then fry the onion and garlic with the bacon lardons and chicken.
2. When the chicken is cooked through add the wine and water, then dissolve the stock cube into the liquid. On a low heat reduce the liquid to about half by simmering for about 15-20 minutes.
3. Take the pan from the heat and then stir in the crème fraiche, grinding pepper into the mixture to taste.
4. Put the mixture into a 1.5 litre pie dish. Unroll the pastry and lay it over the top of the dish, trimming the edges. If you want to use the trimmings to decorate the pie top. Brush milk lightly over the pastry top.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes at 200C/180C Fan/Gas6.